1.16.2005

Nonfiction - Haunted Whisper

So, a very strange thing happened a couple months ago.

It started sometime in mid-to-late November, I think. Maybe early December? I'm fairly certain (no, completely certain) that it's not from a movie or from a song.

It's a fragment. I think it's a female's voice who utters the words, but sometimes I say it out loud, when my mind wanders.

"Tell me how the story ends."

It echoes in my mind. It bounces off the inside of my skull, gets lost in the gray matter, then shows up once I've completely forgotten it exists. Usually, when I'm alone.

And... I'm afraid of it. It means something, and I don't know what. I'm afraid to use it in a story, 'cause I don't think I'm worthy of using it. It's bigger than me; there's something there.

And it's stagnant. I don't know where it goes, or what happened before. Is it at the end? Or is it at the beginning? Is it part of the 'quiet moment', between two actors on screen? Is it a reminder that we have choices to make, and the wrong ones have consequences? Hmm where have I heard that before?

"Tell me how the story ends."

It's a moment, caught in time, in a story or tale, and I don't know the setting or the characters. All I hear is that voice, begging for resolution.

I'm also concerned it has something to do with my ex-girlfriend from last summer. That particular thought petrifies me.

--

I have a kazillion ideas, and then I have one. I smile while driving, as three different hot sex scenes pop into my head, and then there are none.

And then, out of nowhere, I hear it. Pleading with me.

"Tell me how the story ends,"

I wish and wish and wish I could.

-- The Haunted Bastard