3.05.2005

Fiction - Lack of Time Standing Still

"You see the ending, don't you?"

"Yeah."

"But, you won't tell me."

"... No."

"Why not?" She asks angrily.

I pause, and wait for the appropriate response. Do I tell her that unhappiness is her future, or do I lie?

No, I can't lie.

"Because this is how it's supposed to be." Yeah, that was shit. She's not going to buy it.

Olive skin flashes against brown-and-blonde hair.

"You won't tell me about him."

In one moment, truth surges through me. All I have to do is speak it.

But, it's not my place to say.

"I can't... you need to talk to him."

"Once, just once," she snaps, tossing her fork down in fury, "I'd like for you to help ME. To tell ME what you know."

She continues:

"Why won't you do that?"

I freeze, and watch time swirl around me. I have no answer. This is my fate.

To know the truth, but to be unable to speak it.

I look to my right, and see a pair of blue eyes reaching out for me. She wants me to tell her friend the truth, and in that moment... in that one glance... I know.

I know that if I don't share, that I've lost the blue-eyed girl.

This is the price of time. This is the price of my friendship.

Another woman lost.

And only lonliness gained.

Father Time...

... Go fuck yourself, for the weight you lay upon my shoulders.

I never wanted to be alone.

-- The Angry Bastard.