5.04.2005

Fiction - Sleeping Dragon

“Hey.”

“Oh. Hey.”

“How are you?”

“Um… good.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. You just caught me off guard. I haven’t heard from you in a while.”

“Yeah. Sorry.”

“Yeah.”

“…”

“…”

“So, I’m coming into town.”

“Okay.”

“I’m coming into town. I thought we could get together.”

“Um… I don’t know. Where are you staying?”

“I don’t know. Hotel, I think.”

“…”

“You still there.”

“Yeah. Why don’t you… you can stay with me.”

“Um.”

“Yeah, look. I’ll crash on the couch. You can use my bed.”

“I don’t know.”

“I’ll be good, I promise. And it'll save you money.”

“… Okay.”
--

This was not a good idea. Talk about awkward, what was I thinking?

She’s asleep on my couch. Funny, I thought I was going to sleep on the couch. But, we watched a movie, and she passed out. She did the whole “I’m not going to fall asleep. No, really” line, and then… Boom.

Out like a light.

She’s still beautiful. I mean, beautiful in a million ways. All the ways that I remember, and a few I had forgotten.

And after a long day, she was exhausted.I told her to go sleep in my bed. But, of course, damn stubborn girl that she is, she didn't listen.

We tried to make it work, a while back. We did all the things that two people in love do. We talked, we worked through things, we planned, and then…

And then we did the thing that people who aren’t meant to be do. We broke up.

So, here she is, looking nothing short of extraordinary, and I’m thinking about it, at 1 in the morning. I don’t know what it is about her, but I haven’t been able to get her out of my head. I’ve been out on dates, tried to make a connection with other women, but in the back of my mind, I always compare them to her.

She stirs, and I wonder if she’s going to wake up. Maybe I –should- wake her up. Talk to her, maybe? Try to work through the awkwardness?

No.

No, we tried this. It didn’t work.

… But I miss her. And Sweet Christ, does she have great tits.

Okay. I’m not going to put myself through this again. Once (several times, really) was enough.

I walk over to her, and pull a blanket over her body. Her hand reaches up for mine.
Her eyes are open. Wide. Open.

“Hi.” She whispers, fingers gently grabbing my arm, eyes pleading with me. I weakly sink to my knees.

“Hey.” I smile, running my fingers through her hair. Just like I used to.

Oh no.

“I’m sorry.” She said, sitting up.

“It’s not your fault. These things happen.” I said cautiously.

She pulls me closer.

“Don’t.” I beg.

“I’m sorry.” Tears glisten in her eye.

“Look, I-“

She kisses me.

Against my better judgement, I melt.

Only her. Only with her, could this happen. Everyone else, I’m the guy who calls the shots. Only with her, does my world tremble, and fall apart.

And with her, I love and fear every minute of it.

-- The Bastard.