3.05.2005

Notes on "Pretty or Beautiful?"

I wrote this the other day. And because it's only appropriate to do so, I need to credit the source and inspiration.

See, PoB? is actually a small piece of fan-fiction.

Yes, you don't have to remind me. Most online fan-fic revolves around Harry Potter, The Hobbits, Star Wars, etc, etc. This fan-fiction, however was based on Nip/Tuck.

I guess I'd say it's one of my favorite shows. I describe it to my friends as "debauchery at it's finest". There's lots of sex.

Lots of Sex.

And as strange as this is going to sound, it's not the large amounts of fucking that keep me tuned in (although it certainly adds to it), but the moral dramas. It's hard not to feel for some of these characters, and the positions they end up in. Don't get me wrong, there's issues with the writings. You get the feeling that they come up with Great Ideas, but halfway through a season, they don't know where they're going, and forget where they were. It feels like you're in the middle of a train-wreck, that may Just Not Be That Bad.

It's strange.

And one episode in particular haunted me. I even sent an e-mail to my ex- about it, last fall. She replied wryly that it was one of her favorite shows too. Sigh.

Story for another time.

Anyways, you've got one of the main characters, Julian McMahon, being hit on by a blind woman, terrificly played by Rebecca Gayheart. The beginning of the episode was Emmy-worthy, but it was the smoky passion between the two, that led to a wondrous sex scene at the end that had my jaw drop.

She appeared in another episode or two, and he forced a fight with her, and it ended.

But I was always struck by the episode. So, when I caught the re-play the other night, I knew I had to do something with it.

Hence, Pretty or Beautiful?.

For the record, the quote in italics at the beginning of the story is from the show itself, so I need to give proper credit where it's due.

I actually really like how that story came out, it's just too bad I swiped the idea from a tv show. Ah, well.

Anyways. Go watch the show. If you like anything I write here, you'll like that.

After all, it was really easy for me to slide into McMahon's character for the story.

We have altogether far too much in common.

-- The Pensive Bastard