11.25.2004

Walls

The topic of 'privacy' has come up this week, in a couple different forms. I've been thinking about it lately, and trying to figure out how much of me I should put in the 'blog.

People who correspond via e-mail, or have known me awhile have gotten bits and pieces of me, but there's a large wall around most of my life. I keep the walls up, because I don't want to wake up one day and realize that the "real world" and the "online world" have collided overnight, and I'm in some sort-of identity crisis.

I like the way things are, but by doing this blog, I've changed the game. People who I know not-at-all can take a peek inside my perverted and cloudy mind, and start to discern things; not to mention people who do know me. I don't know how comfortable I am with that.

I haven't shown this to anyone in the "real world" yet. (And how silly is it that I have to write "real world"? Should I just let the two collide and be done with it?) And I'm not planning on it, not yet. I have one friend that I might let take a peek. She's a smart gal, but something is still holding me back...

I guess I'm feeling nervous; it's not because of any one person (really) or any one thing, but these thoughts have been growing. I don't have anything to be ashamed of. Everything here is fiction - although at times based on reality: see the '90% perspiration, 10%inspiration' clause to the right - and I have yet to mention a single person in my life in any non-fiction entries. Or the fiction entries, for that matter.

In the back of my mind, I picture my friends sitting around their computer, surfing the net, and coming across this 'blog. Would they know it's me? Would they be able to figure out easily? Would they care?

The answers are Yes, Maybe, and Probably Not Too Much. Of course, whether or not they could keep their mouths shut is a different issue entirely. Some yes, some no. Realistically, the chances of them finding this are slim. I live too far out of town for them to come over, so they won't be using my computer. That seems to be the easiest way for things to go FUBAR.

And, I don't think they'd care so much, but if I ever end up in that ultra-sensitive profession I mention from time-to-time... well, that would be a serious problem. I'm not in the sex industry, or a dominatrix (or whatever the male version of that word is ) or a professional writer, or any of that...

I'm just a guy. Doing his thing.

This isn't something I'm going to figure out today. But it's on my mind.

--

In other news, Thanksgiving was nice and peaceful. What a very very very welcome change.

Hope you all enjoyed the holiday.

-- The Bastard