11.20.2004

Process Stories... pt. III

I'm intrigued by what ABC has done with Lost. It's an intriguing show, and there's been some great character development, which is difficult considering the size of the cast. The writers have managed to balance out the character development with the plot development. They've managed to tease a number of hints about the characters, and tease a great many mysteries about the island.

But, they've also managed to do it in such a way, that there are times -we- know things about the characters, that they don't know, and there are times that the characters know things that -we- don't know. It's what makes it interesting, at least for me.

And they've balanced it in such a way, that doesn't confuse me. It intrigues me.

And I've run straight into the confusion/intrigue issue with my story at Lit, Reflections.

It's been gratifying to receive some nice comments (and nicer e-mail) about how moved people were by the story. That's made the negative comments easier to swallow. The main (negative) comment I've gotten is based on some reader confusion.

The story itself exists on two levels. There's the introduction and the ending sequence, which are one story, and then the whole middle section, which is another. In the middle section, I move back and forth between "real time" and memories, with nothing more than a "--", which I use here on the blog occasionally.

I like my fiction to challenge me. I don't like being bored. I don't like being able to figure something out, and I like being surprised. If I start to figure things out - in either books, television, or any other media for that matter - I start to zone, and eventually move on to something else.

I like to be intrigued; Reflections, I thought, wasn't going to be confusing, but it appears it was to a handful of people. I can't decide how I could've made it more obvious, without making it more obvious, if you catch my drift?

It's not something I'm going to figure out today, but it's something I have to keep working on. Especially as that's the type of story, long-term, that I want to be writing. Only, with a dash more eroticism.

Anyways.

'Nother story goes up Saturday night or Sunday morning.

--
The Bastard