11.15.2004

Open minds

I've stayed away from politics here, because everyone else is discussing it. It says something that most of the 'blogs I read all lean towards the left. You don't really find a lot of Conservative Sex Blogs, y'know?

"Tonight, me and the wife kissed in the kitchen. We never do that, we only kiss in the bedroom. On Tuesdays. Under a full moon. In November. Of Even years"

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I was joking. As Triumph would say, I keeeeed, I keeeeeeid...

I used to be a non-practicing, non-voting, non-caring Republican. I switched to the almighty Registered Independent class after Bush won. I'm a moderate fellow - well, a kinky moderate fellow, but I didn't like Bush.

He bothers me. He's smarmy. Which is annoying, because the only person allowed to be smarmy is me. That's because I'm an arrogant, brilliant fuck. He's just arrogant.

So, like most of my friends, I rooted for Kerry, not because I liked Kerry, but because I didn't like Bush. I couldn't vote because of paperwork, related to me moving last fall. It bothered me, but I wasn't too concerned, because NY was going Democrat, guaranteed. At least 65/35. It actually turned into 60/40, which is worrisome, for reasons I won't get into now.

So, this link has been making the rounds. "Fuck the South"? Okay, I guess it's kinda funny, if not inflammatory. A bit of retribution and misdirected anger from the blue states, apparently.

Then Alexa linked to it, and talked about it on her blog. Hoo boy. Check out THOSE comments.

Yeah, and now you know why I don't do the politics thing. For the record, I think Bush is probably a good man, but not a good president. And I thought Clinton was a decent president, but not a particularly good(moral, really) man. Before that, I could care less, really.

I'm reminded of a great West Wing episode. A female senator dies, and her husband finishes out the rest of her term. He goes to a meeting with Toby about the census, and ends up changing his mind on the issue. After the meeting, Toby remarks that it was nice to meet someone in Washington with no agenda, who came in with an open mind.

It's not just the congressmen in Washington who don't have open minds anymore. Post-election, the country is more divided than before; no matter who won, it was going to be this way.

It's kinda sad. I'm hoping that everyone just mellows out, and relaxes, and that things return to normal. That may be a pipe-dream, but that's okay.

And that's all the politics from me.

I turned off the comments for this article. Anyone who has thoughts to share on this can e-mail me at the link on the right or at unrelenting_optimator@hotmail.com

Peace.

S.
--