11.06.2004

Hatred

I was with the guys, getting ready to go out - and the results of -that- experience are currently wreaking havoc in my blood stream - when one of the roommates found Mtv. Um, great. Fantastic.

So, Alicia Keyes walks out. Her face is glazed over with happiness. Or maybe botox. Who can tell, nowadays. And then she starts talking...

...about Ray Charles.

Now, I'm not too pleased. But, I'm open-minded, so I listen to her talk about Ray's contributions. And considering that he's contributed about 10 times as many albums, and 50 times as much music as she'll _EVER_ contribute to music throughout her entire lifetime, I suppose it's only fair that she be allowed to speak for him.

Yeah. RIGHT.

I don't listen to most popular music. I sample stuff online a lot, talk to friends, and keep an eye out for stuff I catch on tv(soundtracks being a good way to hear a variety of music). As a result, I haven't watched MTv in a kazillion years, but as far as I remember, they love the young and the new. Which is fine, except 75-80% of the music being produced is by people who are neither your NOR new, and usually sounds much better.

But to have some drugged-out R&B singer happily speaking for 15 seconds about one of the great musical geniuses of the last 50 years?

BLASPHEMY.

When I was a kid, I caught this show, which I really didn't understand. This guy was talking to some other guy, who noone else could see. And the first guy, he looked like someone else. Sort-of.

The show was Quantum Leap. Remember that series? At the end of this particular episode, Al, dances slowly with his (now) ex-wife, while "Georgia on my mind" plays in the background.

By Ray Charles.

It is a simple, poignant moment that has stayed with me over the years. The way he croons and sings, and the piano and... ah. It's gorgeous.

MTv, you little shits, next time you get someone like James Brown or Stevie Wonder. When you speak of the Great Musicians, you don't use a fad-pop-star-of-the-moment. You use a Legend.

I always wanted to see Ray live, just to hear him sing that song.

I have hatred for MTv.

That is all.

S.
--