11.09.2004

Quiet Moments: Autumn

Something different, sent via cell phone.

--
It’s almost too cold to be outside. There's a chill in the air, just barely noticeable. That random thought was alleviated by the steaming mug of hot chocolate she placed in my hand as the screen door slammed shut behind her.

"Thanks." I said.

"You're welcome." She replied with a smile. She sat down on the swing, and laid her head in my lap.

I watched the leaves swirl aimlessly as I took a sip. I licked my lips and squinted as a gust of wind blew through my hair.

"Did you put something in this?" I asked, tasting both chocolate and liquor.

"Mmm hmm." she chortled relaxingly. She curled up slightly, turning away from the street. Her hand reached up for my forearm and gently stroked my skin. Her head nestled in my lap, I reached down and ran my fingers through her hair; She sighed softly and curled up tighter against me. I felt the cool autumn air blow lazily again over the porch as we relaxed on the swing. She lifted her head to sip the drink, fingers still resting on my arm.

There’s a quiet somberness that falls over me during this time of year. A feeling of relaxed anticipation, when the wind blows around you, all-knowing and yet unrevealing. Or maybe it’s the smell of crisp leaves burning under clear skies, while people start to wear warm clothes, and dig out their winter clothing.

I played with her hair as her body rested. I thought that maybe Autumn is a reminder: A brief warning that winter is swiftly approaching.

I remembered that feeling from earlier. That chill in the air, that warned of impending cold mornings and shovels and white blinding flurries and cancellations and crappy roads and windshield wipers not working and detours and red cheeks and-

She shivered slightly and adjusted her head resting on my lap and leg. I looked down and smiled. I guess it doesn't really matter, does it? An orange streetlight flickered, as the stars continued popping into sight through the clear, brisk air.

The wind stopped blowing suddenly, and I wondered briefly if maybe it wasn't a reminder from Mother Nature. A reminder to enjoy where and when you are and not to worry about tomorrow. I leaned back, pondering that thought when I realized that she had fallen asleep in my lap. I poked her gently only to get a disturbed grunt in return. I stretched and poked her again.

"Lets go sunshine," I spoke quietly, smiling at her fatigued body.

"Noooo..." she moaned. I slipped out from under her and grabbed her arms pulling her off the bench. She tiredly walked towards the door kicking it open.

"You know," she said, "I really like this time of year."

Behind me I felt the wind pause, almost straining to hear my answer. I looked down at her as my heart warmed.

"Yes," I responded, "Yes, It really is."

I leaned down and kissed her slowly. Her hand reached to the back of my neck, fingers stroking my skin. I pulled away a minute later, turned off the inside lights and walked her up the stairs.

Moments later, clothes were hastily but lovingly discarded; The breeze began to blow once more as I happily chose to enjoy tonight, and made myself content to worry about everything else...

Later.

S.
--