9.19.2005

Nonfiction - Links and Life

- Chelsea Girl informatively expounds on the topic of anal intercourse. For those who haven't indulged (and for those who have), there is a great deal to be learned here and here.

- Lex has written in several spots about the unwillingness of certain individuals to believe that his lifestyle, and subsequent writings of such, are true. Never having met Lex or Leslie, let alone knowing anyone who actually knows them, I have chosen to be optimistic. I see no reason NOT to accept that Lex has the poly- lifestyle that so many men wish they could have. I am neither envious nor credulous regarding his life. I am merely entertained by it.

I am often bothered by the inability of people to approach subjects with an open mind. It seems more and more(and I think it's prevalent in Americans) we refuse to actually go into a debate with the possibility that there is something to be learned.

This is what I get for watching The West Wing for years and years: I've become an idealist. My parents must be proud.

- I've got to finish a three-year, three-part story at Lit, by Thanksgiving. I think I know how the story starts, and maybe how it ends, but the middle... eh. And surprisingly, there's no sex in it yet.

I know, I know. Shocking. I'll work on that, I promise.

- I'm not a big awards show fan, but I watched The Emmy's. It wasn't horrible, unsurprisingly. Kristen Bell singing Fame, David Letterman honoring the legacy of Johnny Carson, Lost winning the Drama category, James Spader and William Shatner winning awards in their prospective categories, Jon Stewart winning several categories and his hilarious pre-taped bit, and the touching three-man tribute for Brokaw, Jennings and Rather made for a warm and
pleasant evening.

I didn't know that Ossie Davis and Brock Peters had died, though. I've enjoyed both their careers over the years, and I'll miss their gravitas and style.

- Up until recently, I was seeing a beautiful woman from a nearby state. It ended peacefully, and we are still in contact. But the last several months with her, have forced me to question many of my motives on a personal and professional level. I am proud to say that I did not let my self-destructive relationship habits get in the way of what we had. It just didn't work out between us, even though we tried.

There is a part of me that feels like I lost something special; Worse, that at some point down the road, I will regret letting her go. I have loved few women in my life. I feel like I should've tried harder, even though I know it just won't work right now.

I want to say something schmaltzy and inspirational like "know what you've got, don't let it go", but I think I'll just recommend a stiff drink, a smoke, or a good movie with a friend. Some combination of the three always works for me.

So, if you detect a certain sentimentality to any upcoming stories, you know why.

-- The Bastard.