5.24.2005

Nonfiction - Literature Tag

I'm it, apparently. I don't usually go the meme route, but DTG sent it my way, and she's a friend, and I love me the books, soo.....

--

1. Total number of books I've owned - I have to admit, I couldn't say for sure. Upwards of 4-500, I'd guess. Probably many many more. I still have some in boxes, and I sold a large deal of my YA collection when I was back in high school. Silly me.

2. The last book I bought - Foreign Affairs: Erotic Travel Tales

3. The last book I read - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

4. 5 books that mean something to me - Hmm. In no particular order:

It by Steven King - One of my favorites of all time. The "young kids stop the bad guy, and make a pledge to come back home, if it every happens again" struck a chord with me, for lengthy reasons. I have a nostalgic attachment to 6 other students from my youth, and seeing the televised version of the novel (which wasn't that fantastic) led me to Steven King for the first time.

Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman - If, during the process of working on his legendary formula, Einstein dreamed about Time, what would his dreams be? Each "dream" is several pages long, detailing a world where time worked differently. I've always had problems wrapping my head around certain theoretical sciences, but playing with the concept of time has interested me enough to try to work past my confustion.

Foundation by Isaac Asimov - One of the great sci-fi classics of all time, and the first time I ever actually enjoyed a book of short stories. This isn't so much an anthology, as it is a number of tales set in one universe, detailing the end of the First Galactic Empire. It mixes several themes, including dystopia/utopia, different government structures, and hyper-mathmatics.

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy - Before Clancy jumped the shark with his Jack Ryan character, there was this book. Technically, Hunt for Red October was my first Clancy novel, but Patriot Games has always been my favorite, and thoroughly entrenched me in the spy/action genre. Unfortunately, Clancy has been the only major author in this field to keep me entertained.

The Witching Hour by Anne Rice - In all honesty, I'm not a fan of Rice's works. I really enjoyed the screen adaptation of Interview of a Vampire, but when I finally sat down to read several of the Vampire Chronicles, I was unimpressed. Much flowery prose, not enough content. The Mayfair Witches trilogy (of which The Witching Hour is the first) started off very strong, but turned into a mess at the end of Book 1. Books 2 and 3 were far more confusing, and it was obvious that she didn't really know where the series was going when she started it. Boo hoo, I say. Anyways. This book is relevant, because it has one rough-sex scene towards the end, hat was (to my memory) the first time I ever consciously enjoyed a sexual scenario of that description. It was also the first time I ever masturbated to a book. Ah, good times. The rest of the book is nice, but knowing how craptastic the rest of the triolgy is, makes it unreadable.

-- The Bastard.