5.21.2005

Nonfiction - A long time ago...

(With a title like that, I'll bet that some of you thought I was going to write about the new Star Wars movie. Shame, shame, shame on you.)

(... *Sigh*.)

(Yes, I saw it.)

(It was okay.)

(...)

(Okay, I admit it, I always wanted to be Han Solo. How could you NOT? He gets the chick, and he's got the fucking blaster, and the cool ship, and... )

(/nerdgasm off)

--

Ahem.

I'm going through my 200-carousel cd player, for the first time in forever. I came across an old Extreme album. Um, yikes. It's funny the things you find ten years later.

So, I threw on a couple of the songs, while doing some other work, and had a flashback.

I thought I'd share.

--

Note: I have this annoying tendency to associate songs with certain incidents from my life; to the point that, 11 years later, I remember a very sad car trip.

--

I was home for thanksgiving, during my freshmen year. I invited R. and E. to come with me to the hospital.

I remember the drive, through the boonies and across a couple mountains. I was driving my mother's 2-door Buick. It was a beast of a car. But, it had a cd-player, and always smelled that "new-car smell". I loved that car.

There was always a certain amount of tension between myself and R. We were friends, but he had become a first-class dick during our last year at high school. Years later, the details seem so incredibly un-important. Isn't that always the way?

Of course, I'm a certified first-class asshole, now. Funny, that.

We pulled into the parking lot, and E. was nervous. Her first trip to a hospital. Lucky her.

We walked in, got directions, and went upstairs, where we met my ex-girlfriend's parents. See, my ex- had gotten into a car accident, 5 weeks after I left for college. Which was 5 weeks after she dumped me and broke my heart.

Man.

That was rough. A decade later, I still remember being depressed, for months. I loved that girl, and she completely destroyed me. I was that mythological fucker, 'Humpty Dumpty', but with few friends to put me back together again.

Every relationship since, has been affected by M. dumping the fuck outta me. I've dumped girls, before I could get too attached, been an asshole, ignored them, and ran from the few who could get close to me.

...Anyways.

She was in a very nasty car accident, and got a concussion. There was brain damage, and broken body parts, and... well, it was as bad as it can get. She fell into a coma. She hadn't woken up, yet, so I kept visiting. When you're madly in love with someone, you do that.

This time I brought friends.

Yeah, that was a stupid idea: they tweaked pretty bad. R. uncomfortably talked to her parents for awhile, and E. cried. Rough night for all involved.

That was one of the last times I saw M. And I've hated hospitals since.

.. Hm?

No. She's still in a coma. I spoke to her mother last year. No change.

11.5 years later, she still hasn't woken up.

...

--

I was going to write a post about my orgasms, and you got this instead.

What a strange day it's been.

--The Bastard.