10.15.2004

S.1 - Techonology vs. (Human) Nature

Author Warren Ellis, is attempting what he calls a FastArt Stunt. Last week, he asked people to create a small piece(approximately 200 words) on The Future.

And here's mine, which he is linking via Strangemachine(as long as this goes through correctly)

And I imagine anyone who links from that site will find the stories below to be quite different from this one. Heh.

S.

--
"I'm brilliant, you know."

Her eyes opened wearily in the darkness.

"You know this, I think. "

She rubbed her eyes.

"What are you... what time is-", she sputtered.

I pointed to the cell-rec, attached to my head.

"I was one of the engineers for this. This little device that answers my calls, takes care of my i-mail, and schedules my day for me."

I stood up and walked over to her bed. "I am one of the smartest fucking people on the planet. I've helped over 200 people walk naked on the moon without fear of death, and set up bases in the asteroid belt."

I put my hands around her neck and squeezed.

"I. Am. A. Fucking. Genius. And yet... and yet...." I relaxed my grip on her slightly, as her hands pawed at me. "..and yet, I can't seem to tell when my girlfriend is cheating on me."

Her eyes snapped up to mine and her arms stopped struggling. I saw fear.

"Why is it.." I leaned forward and whispered, "why is it that no matter how far technology moves forward, human nature stays the same?"

And then I snapped her neck.

--