10.09.2004

This almost didn't happen

I'd been considering starting a blog up for some time, but I found myself caught off-guard by Gina Lynn's Sex Drive column over at Wired. It was her 2nd column - the first being the charming and informative The Ins and Outs of Teledildonics - and towards the top of the article, I read this:

"...I think we get ourselves into trouble when we believe that what happens online is somehow "other" or "outside" our "real" lives. We have this idea that we can segment ourselves, keeping aspects of our lives in separate compartments: work/play, spouse/lover, day job/art."

Yeeeeeeesh.

Talk about a red flag popping out of nowhere. My first - and overwhelming - thought was "Men know how to compartmentalize better than women." In my mind, my time spent online, (whether writing erotic stories, or being a dirty-talking, tongue-licking, order-giving male to some woman somewhere in North America), was always separate from my "real life". From e-mail accounts to IM programs to my account at Literotica, I've made a point to hide my identity.

As a result, there's a space between the two. And that's just the way I like it. For some though... the temptation to "do phone" or even meet up in the real world may be too difficult to refuse. I've been tempted, but I get enough action without the keyboard.

The reason I came online in the first place, and why I'm still around? Story for another time.

The article continues, with the author speaking about her time online, but this jumped out at me:

"..In some ways, being [online] was the best thing I ever did for my sexuality. .. I developed new enthusiasm, and new skills, by writing about sex..."

This, I wholeheartedly agree with. In all the years I've had sex, I learned more about myself in my time online, than I did screwing around with all my ex's. Some of my ex's, though, weren't the wisest of choices. You have to love being in your 20's, right?

Anyways. Cyber, for all it's dangers, does have it's benefits. It's up to the individual to choose how to use their time online.

I'm hopefully going to return to this article at some point, but I've wandered off-topic.

--

As of late, several of my must-read blogs had closed down. I wondered if I had come late to the party, but after much introspection, I remembered this:

I love to write. It's one of my true loves and passions; Although I've written some long-form stories, I wanted to be able to write short stories, or just random thoughts, where people could read them. And the weblog is the perfect vehicle for me to realize that passion.

Truth be told, most of the entries will be about sex. But, to be fair, most will either be comments, or will be stories. I've chosen to leave my personal life out of this, as much as possible. All names changed to protect the innocent, yada yada. And for the most part, any sexual incidents from my life will probably end up in the little stories I write.

I also have to take into account that my job situation may be changing over the next year, and the new job may be the type where these writings could cause...problems. So, discretion shall be the better part of valor.

Whether it be about my love of the female form, my growing intrigue with BDSM, a quick story about how I do so enjoy cunnilingus, or me rambling about one of my non-sex interests, this is me, just writing, and enjoying every minute of it.

Hope you do, too.

S.